Please note that our ice time Thursday September 22nd & 29th is from 21:00-22:30.
Sent from my iPhone
In about a month we start skating again so get your skates sharpened, find your sticks and shake out the gear! This season brings a few changes to the Flames but more on that in a moment.
For the 2016-17 season, we will have our ice time like normal on Thursday nights 21:30 – 23:00 from October 6th – March 22nd in the Training Hall, Zug now called the Academy Arena. Additionally, we will have 2 pre-season ice times in September on the 22nd and the 29th also in the Academy Arena from 21:00-22:30.
New game team: As a result of dwindling participation in our league games, the ZFHC has teamed up the Ice Crushers to form the Ice Flames Hockey Club for participation in the ZSHL. This is a game only team. Players from each club will still practice with their respective team but still have the opportunity to play league games.
- We will still be playing under the name “Zug Flames” in the same jerseys, same colors, etc.
- All Flames members will be put on the league list of players so that guys who are not sure of their participation just yet have a chance to join the game roster during the course of the season.
- Vlad will be responsible for coordinating the roster on the Flames side and Fabian will be in charge on the Ice Crusher’s end.
- There are no extra dues to play in the league.
The ZSHL has made a few changes to the league rules.
- No licensed players will be allowed to play in the league (licensed senior & veterans exempted).
- Panthers have decided to leave the league so we are down to 7 teams this season.
- New point system: victory in regular time = 3 points, draw = 1 point for each team followed by penalty shots to clinch an additional point. No player can repeat until all skaters (goalies exempted) have taken a penalty shot.
- There will be a new fancy league website where time keepers will be able to enter results online. This will function as a game live ticker.
- Raiffeisen Bank becomes a new league sponsor. The bank’s logo will be featured on the referees’ jersey. Each team will obtain two ref jerseys which much be worn.
Courtney and I managed to get ourselves to the scheduling meeting so the Zug Flames are back for another year in the ZSHL.
We will play each of the other 7 teams twice for 14 games. As we move closer to the start of the season we'll look at the upcoming year in more detail, particularly in terms of finances (dues and sponsoring, Rob P. has taken charge of team finances for the upcoming season), personnel (new and returning roster players) as well as infrastructure (coaching & team admin, officiating).
What I can tell you already now are the regular ice times through February, 2016: September, 2015 Thursday, 10th @ 21.30 – 23.00o Wednesday, 23rd @ 21.30 – 23.00
TRAINING CAMP: SEE EMAILS FROM BRENT AND EDGAR
October – December, 2015 Every Thursday @ 21.30 – 23.00 from October 1 to December 17 inclusive January – February, 2016 Every Thursday @ 21.30 – 23.00 from January 7 to February 25 inclusive EXCEPT January 14: no ice
March 2016 has only one confirmed ice time so far, that on Wednesday the 2nd @ 21.15 – 22.45
Total of 22 training sessions (not including possible March slots), which means the CHF 500 annual fee is very well spent.
The good news is that the Zug Flames finished the 2014-15 regular season in 2nd place. The better news is that it's playoff time!
This Saturday at 20:30 in the Training Hall Zug, the Flames take on HC Baar 88 in a quarter final matchup.
The road to the ZSHL Cup begins!
Please note that the rescheduled game was not possible as per the last post. It will now take place on 11.01.15 @ 14.00. Please check the ZSHL website for further details. This means we have back-to-back games on January 10th and 11th.
Looks like a good chance to burn off some of those Christmas season calories!
As most of you know by now (if you read emails) we are back for another season in the ZSHL. There are a number of changes which suit us Flames just fine! In case you don't read emails (but do read this blog...) here is the recap of upcoming changes:
1. League: the Zug Flames Hockey Club will open the season on October 4 against Zugerland in the Bossard Arena. A new team from Siebenen has joined the league to bring us to a total of 8 teams divided into two groups. Therefore, the league structure will change for 2014-15:
NB: THE GAME ON JANUARY 31 HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO A SCHEDULING ERROR. IT HAS TENTATIVELY BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 25 @ 14.00.
2. Rules: referees are asked to use the new hybrid icing rule. We’ll see if it works. Obviously the neutral zone will be tightened as per IIHF rules.
3. General Club: The annual fee will go up to CHF 500 this year. This is to offset the declining number of full members. This has to be paid in full by October 31 to ensure playing time (referees and goalies remain exempt). Training is reserved from September through March 2015 so we’ll have spring ice this year – let’s hope EVZ goes to the final! Ice times are as follows:
4. Drop-In: basically Thursday night ice is available to fully paid members only. Certain special guests may be invited from time to time, and of course every effort will be made for visiting family and friends. However, drop-in hockey will only be available subject to space on the bench and at CHF 40 per session. We will distribute practice jerseys to members as they arrive on Thursday, to a max of 30 (15 each light and dark). At 21.15, unassigned jerseys will be available to drop-in players. Members coming late need to reserve a practice jersey.
5. Personnel and Structure: there will be changes to the league team set up that we’ll discuss closer to training camp, but for now I can confirm that Courtney is back as active club president and the first 30 minutes of Thursday nights will be devoted to drills. (Sorry Rob P). There are a couple of potential new players that have been invited to September training, if you know anyone interested in joining us, please pass me the contact info.
See you soon!
The Jumpin party is over and the dog days of summer are here. But hockey is not too far away: Brent and Edgar are back from recon and have emailed us their Helsinki report. The schedule is as follows, any questions can be asked of the organizers directly.
Helsinki Training Camp - September 25-28, 2014
Thursday 25 September 2014
Various ARRIVALS in Helsinki (see summary of players' travel thus far plans below). Coordination of transfer to/from the airport are for each player to organize.
20:00-21:30 Optional Training/Friendly Match with Helsinki Midnight Bats. For those that can make the 8PM start the Ice Bats are happy to host us.
23:00 All players meet in GLO Hotel KLUUVI for beer. For those that play or take part in the optional training/game, we'll be back to hotel between 22:30 and 23:00.
Friday 26 September 2014
11:00 Transfer departs from GLO Kluuvi Hotel to the arena. If you miss the transfer - no problem, just find yourself a taxi.
12:00 - 14:30 Training Sessions 1 & 2. Yes, it is 2.5 Hours. First hour will be drills/warm-up; short break; second hour will be intra-squad match. We have invited the Helsinki Midnight Bats to join us at their option.
15:30 Transfer departs from the arena to the GLO KLUUVI Hotel
16:00-17:30 Personal time in the centre of Helsinki. The hotel is ideally located for strolling around the shopping/pub/restaurant area or you can relax at the Hotel.
17:30 Departure for the Off-Ice Team Event and Team Dinner. We will not return to the hotel after the Off-Ice Team Event so you'll have to be dressed for dinner when departing the hotel.
22:30 Return to the hotel following dinner (eventually). At this point either return to the hotel, strike out on your own, or walk 50m to mayhem (also called 'The Alley').
Saturday 27 September 2014
TBD Training Sessions 3 & 4. Details are being finalized but the tentative plan is a one-hour training around 12:00, with a friendly match between 17:00 and 19:00.
21:00 Dinner at König Restaurant (200m from Hotel). König is part of the restaurant/pub group that includes 'The Alley'. Dinner will transition into bedlam at approximately 23:00.
Sunday 28 September 2014
Various DEPARTURES for Home (no team activities planned). Players to arrange own transfer to airport.
Players Confirmed / Planned So Far