In about a month we start skating again so get your skates sharpened, find your sticks and shake out the gear! This season brings a few changes to the Flames but more on that in a moment.
For the 2016-17 season, we will have our ice time like normal on Thursday nights 21:30 – 23:00 from October 6th – March 22nd in the Training Hall, Zug now called the Academy Arena. Additionally, we will have 2 pre-season ice times in September on the 22nd and the 29th also in the Academy Arena from 21:00-22:30.
New game team: As a result of dwindling participation in our league games, the ZFHC has teamed up the Ice Crushers to form the Ice Flames Hockey Club for participation in the ZSHL. This is a game only team. Players from each club will still practice with their respective team but still have the opportunity to play league games.
- We will still be playing under the name “Zug Flames” in the same jerseys, same colors, etc.
- All Flames members will be put on the league list of players so that guys who are not sure of their participation just yet have a chance to join the game roster during the course of the season.
- Vlad will be responsible for coordinating the roster on the Flames side and Fabian will be in charge on the Ice Crusher’s end.
- There are no extra dues to play in the league.
The ZSHL has made a few changes to the league rules.
- No licensed players will be allowed to play in the league (licensed senior & veterans exempted).
- Panthers have decided to leave the league so we are down to 7 teams this season.
- New point system: victory in regular time = 3 points, draw = 1 point for each team followed by penalty shots to clinch an additional point. No player can repeat until all skaters (goalies exempted) have taken a penalty shot.
- There will be a new fancy league website where time keepers will be able to enter results online. This will function as a game live ticker.
- Raiffeisen Bank becomes a new league sponsor. The bank’s logo will be featured on the referees’ jersey. Each team will obtain two ref jerseys which much be worn.