Courtney and I managed to get ourselves to the scheduling meeting so the Zug Flames are back for another year in the ZSHL.
We will play each of the other 7 teams twice for 14 games. As we move closer to the start of the season we'll look at the upcoming year in more detail, particularly in terms of finances (dues and sponsoring, Rob P. has taken charge of team finances for the upcoming season), personnel (new and returning roster players) as well as infrastructure (coaching & team admin, officiating).
What I can tell you already now are the regular ice times through February, 2016: September, 2015 Thursday, 10th @ 21.30 – 23.00o Wednesday, 23rd @ 21.30 – 23.00
TRAINING CAMP: SEE EMAILS FROM BRENT AND EDGAR
October – December, 2015 Every Thursday @ 21.30 – 23.00 from October 1 to December 17 inclusive January – February, 2016 Every Thursday @ 21.30 – 23.00 from January 7 to February 25 inclusive EXCEPT January 14: no ice
March 2016 has only one confirmed ice time so far, that on Wednesday the 2nd @ 21.15 – 22.45
Total of 22 training sessions (not including possible March slots), which means the CHF 500 annual fee is very well spent.
Please note that the rescheduled game was not possible as per the last post. It will now take place on 11.01.15 @ 14.00. Please check the ZSHL website for further details. This means we have back-to-back games on January 10th and 11th.
Looks like a good chance to burn off some of those Christmas season calories!
As most of you know by now (if you read emails) we are back for another season in the ZSHL. There are a number of changes which suit us Flames just fine! In case you don't read emails (but do read this blog...) here is the recap of upcoming changes:
1. League: the Zug Flames Hockey Club will open the season on October 4 against Zugerland in the Bossard Arena. A new team from Siebenen has joined the league to bring us to a total of 8 teams divided into two groups. Therefore, the league structure will change for 2014-15:
Groups are populated according to the order of finish from last year. We were 5th, which means we are top seed in Group B.
Each team will play opponents in the same group 3 times, and against each team in the other group once for a total of 13 games. This is so teams play more against similar-calibre opponents in an attempt to keep matches more competitive. De facto, we play Shocking Blue, Baar, HMH and Menzingen once next year, while meeting Zugerland, Panthers and Siebenen three times. Points count towards a combined standing. All teams make the playoffs which will run a single KO format with ranked pairings (1-8, 2-7, etc.)
Ten of our games are in the big rink, 6 of which are on a Sunday afternoon. There are only 2 Saturday night games. See the league website for the full schedule http://www.zshl.ch/ .
NB: THE GAME ON JANUARY 31 HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO A SCHEDULING ERROR. IT HAS TENTATIVELY BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 25 @ 14.00.
2. Rules: referees are asked to use the new hybrid icing rule. We’ll see if it works. Obviously the neutral zone will be tightened as per IIHF rules.
3. General Club: The annual fee will go up to CHF 500 this year. This is to offset the declining number of full members. This has to be paid in full by October 31 to ensure playing time (referees and goalies remain exempt). Training is reserved from September through March 2015 so we’ll have spring ice this year – let’s hope EVZ goes to the final! Ice times are as follows:
Thursday, September 11 & September 18 @ 21.30 (1.5h)
From October 2, 2014 to February 26, 2015 every Thursday at 21.30
Wednesday, March 4, 11 and 18 @ 21.15 (1.5h)
4. Drop-In: basically Thursday night ice is available to fully paid members only. Certain special guests may be invited from time to time, and of course every effort will be made for visiting family and friends. However, drop-in hockey will only be available subject to space on the bench and at CHF 40 per session. We will distribute practice jerseys to members as they arrive on Thursday, to a max of 30 (15 each light and dark). At 21.15, unassigned jerseys will be available to drop-in players. Members coming late need to reserve a practice jersey.
5. Personnel and Structure: there will be changes to the league team set up that we’ll discuss closer to training camp, but for now I can confirm that Courtney is back as active club president and the first 30 minutes of Thursday nights will be devoted to drills. (Sorry Rob P). There are a couple of potential new players that have been invited to September training, if you know anyone interested in joining us, please pass me the contact info.
The Jumpin party is over and the dog days of summer are here. But hockey is not too far away: Brent and Edgar are back from recon and have emailed us their Helsinki report. The schedule is as follows, any questions can be asked of the organizers directly.
Helsinki Training Camp - September 25-28, 2014
Thursday 25 September 2014
Various ARRIVALS in Helsinki (see summary of players' travel thus far plans below). Coordination of transfer to/from the airport are for each player to organize.
20:00-21:30 Optional Training/Friendly Match with Helsinki Midnight Bats. For those that can make the 8PM start the Ice Bats are happy to host us.
23:00 All players meet in GLO Hotel KLUUVI for beer. For those that play or take part in the optional training/game, we'll be back to hotel between 22:30 and 23:00.
Friday 26 September 2014
11:00 Transfer departs from GLO Kluuvi Hotel to the arena. If you miss the transfer - no problem, just find yourself a taxi.
12:00 - 14:30 Training Sessions 1 & 2. Yes, it is 2.5 Hours. First hour will be drills/warm-up; short break; second hour will be intra-squad match. We have invited the Helsinki Midnight Bats to join us at their option.
15:30 Transfer departs from the arena to the GLO KLUUVI Hotel
16:00-17:30 Personal time in the centre of Helsinki. The hotel is ideally located for strolling around the shopping/pub/restaurant area or you can relax at the Hotel.
17:30 Departure for the Off-Ice Team Event and Team Dinner. We will notreturn to the hotel after the Off-Ice Team Event so you'll have to be dressed for dinner when departing the hotel.
22:30 Return to the hotel following dinner (eventually). At this point either return to the hotel, strike out on your own, or walk 50m to mayhem (also called 'The Alley').
Saturday 27 September 2014
TBD Training Sessions 3 & 4. Details are being finalized but the tentative plan is a one-hour training around 12:00, with a friendly match between 17:00 and 19:00.
21:00 Dinner at König Restaurant (200m from Hotel). König is part of the restaurant/pub group that includes 'The Alley'. Dinner will transition into bedlam at approximately 23:00.
Sunday 28 September 2014
Various DEPARTURES for Home (no team activities planned). Players to arrange own transfer to airport.